English 英语口语 论坛 英语语法 同步学习
当前位置: 高中英语 > 人教版新教材高中英语必修三

人教社高中英语新教材必修三Unit 5 The Value of Money Reading and thinking音频和课文翻译

[2024年1月13日] 来源:新课标人教版            

这是新课程最新版高中英语教材,是由人民教育出版社出版、教育部2019审核通过的高中英语教材。其中必修教材分为第一册、第二册和第三册共3册,选择性必修教材分第一册、第二册、第三册和第四册共4册,选修教材分为第一册、第二册和第三册共3册。

---课文翻译---

THE MILLION POUND BANK NOTE

百万英镑

ACT 1, SCENE 3

第一幕,第3场

Narrator: Two rich brothers, Roderick and Oliver, have made a bet. Oliver believes that with a million-pound bank note a man could live a month in London. His brother Roderick doubts it. They see a poor young man walking outside their house. It is Henry Adams.

旁白:1903年的夏天。一对富有的兄弟,罗德里克和奥利弗,打了一个赌。奥利弗认为,一个人靠一张百万英镑的钞票在伦敦能活一个月。他的兄弟罗德里克对此表示怀疑。他们看见一个贫穷的年轻人在房子的外面游荡。他叫亨利o亚当斯。

Roderick: Young man, would you step inside a moment, please?

罗德里克:年轻人,请你进来一会儿,好吗?

Henry: Who? Me, sir?

亨 利:先生,你叫谁呀?是叫我吗?

Roderick: Yes, you.

罗德里克:是的,就是你。

Servant: (opening a door) Good morning, sir. Would you please come in?

仆 人:(打开门)早上好,先生,请进。

(Henry enters the house)

(亨利走进房子)

Roderick: How do you do, Mr ... er ...?

罗德里克:你好,先生,你贵姓?

Henry: Adams. Henry Adams.

亨 利:亚当斯,亨利o亚当斯。

Oliver: Come and sit down, Mr Adams.

奥利弗:来,请坐,亚当斯先生。

Henry: Thank you.

亨 利:谢谢。

Roderick: You’re an American?

罗德里克:你是美国人?

Henry: That’s right, from San Francisco.

亨 利:是的,从旧金山来。

Roderick: May we ask what you’re doing in this country and what your plans are?

罗德里克:可不可以问问,你在这个国家要干点儿什么?你的计划又是什么呢?

Henry: Well, I can’t say that I have any plans. As a matter of fact, I landed in Britain by accident.

亨 利:嗯,谈不上有什么计划。事实上,我在英国上岸是偶然的。

Oliver: How is that possible?

奥利弗:这怎么可能呢?

Henry: Well, I had my own boat. About a month ago, I was sailing, and towards night I found myself carried out to sea by a strong wind. The next morning I was spotted by a ship.

亨 利:嗯,我有自己的船。大约一个月前,我开着船,晚上的时候我发现我被一阵大风刮到海上去了。第二天早上,一艘船发现了我。

Oliver: And it was the ship that brought you to England.

罗德里克:正是那艘船把你带到了英国。

Henry: Yes. I went to the American consulate to seek help, but ... Anyway, I didn’t dare to try again. (The brothers smile at each other.)

亨 利:是的。我上美国大使馆求助,但是……不管怎样,我不敢再去尝试了。(兄弟俩相顾而笑)

Roderick: Well, you mustn’t worry about that. It’s an advantage.

罗德里克:嗯,这一点你倒不必担心,这还是优点呢。

Henry: I’m afraid I don’t quite follow you, sir.

亨 利:对不起,先生,你的话我没有听懂。

Roderick: Tell us, what sort of work did you do in America?

奥利弗:请你告诉我们,你在美国是做什么工作的?

Henry: I worked for a mining company. Could you offer me work here?

亨 利:我在一家矿业公司工作。你们能不能给我提供工作呢?

Roderick: Patience. If you don’t mind, may I ask you how much money you have?

罗德里克:耐心点儿。如果你不介意,我能不能问问,你手头儿有多少钱?

Henry: Well, to be honest, I have none.

亨 利:嗯,老实说,我一分钱都没有了。

Oliver: (happily) What luck! Brother, what luck!

奥利弗:(高兴地)老兄,真走运!真有运气!

Henry: Well, it may seem lucky to you but not to me! If this is your idea of some kind of joke, I don’t think it’s very funny. Now if you’ll excuse me, I ought to be on my way.

亨 利:嗯,这对你们来说可能是运气,但对我来说可不是。如果你们认为这是一个笑话,我可不觉得很好笑。好了,请原谅,我想我该上路了。

Roderick: Please don’t go. You mustn’t think we don’t care about you. Oliver, give him the letter.

罗德里克:请别走。你千万不要以为我们不在意你的感受。奥利弗,把信给他。

Oliver: Yes, I was about to go get the letter. Wait! (getting it from a desk and giving it to Henry) The letter.

奥利弗:好的,我正想去拿信呢。稍等一下!(从桌上把信拿起来,递给亨利)给你信。

Henry: (taking it carefully) For me?

亨 利:(小心翼翼地接过信)是给我的吗?

Roderick: For you. (Henry starts to open it) Oh, no, you’d better not open it. You can’t open it until two o’clock.

罗德里克:是给你的。(亨利要拆信)啊,别拆,你不要拆,到两点钟你才能打开。

Henry: Oh, this is silly.

亨 利:噢,这真可笑。

Roderick: Not silly. There’s money in it.

罗德里克:这不可笑,这里边有钱呢。

Henry: Oh, no. I don’t want your charity. I just want a job that earns an honest income.

亨 利:噢,不,我不需要你们的施舍,我只要一份老老实实的工作。

Roderick: We know you’re hard-working. That’s why we’ve given you the letter. (to the servant) Show Mr Adams out.

罗德里克:我们知道你工作是很卖力的,这正是我们给你这封信的原因。(对仆人说)请送亚当斯先生出去。

Oliver: Good luck, Mr Adams.

奥利弗:祝你好运,亚当斯先生。

Henry: Well, why don’t you explain what this is all about?

亨 利:嗯,怎么不给我讲讲,这究竟是怎么回事呢?

Roderick: You’ll soon know. In exactly an hour and a half.

罗德里克:你很快就会明白的。一个半小时以后。

Servant: This way, sir.

仆 人:请这边走,先生。

Roderick: Not until 2 o’clock. Promise?

罗德里克:两点钟以前不要拆信,答应吗?

Henry: Promise. Goodbye.

亨 利:答应。再见!

VOA 英语教学节目

经典英语在线训练资源