Dr Ma, please tell us something about blindness.
马医生,请给我们讲一讲关于失明的相关事情。
About 285 million people around the world are blind or have other eye problems, mostly in poor areas, and about 80 per cent of these cases can be prevented or cured.
世界上大约有2.85亿的人失明或患有眼疾,大多数在贫困地区,而这些病例中大约80%能够被阻止或治愈。
However, many people don't have money for medical treatment.
但是,很多人没有足够的钱进行医学治疗。
How does ORBIS help?
奥比斯组织如何帮助人们?
ORBIS uses its Flying Eye Hospital to visit poor areas.
奥比斯利用它的眼科飞机医院去到贫困地区。
On the plane, volunteer doctors do operations. The plane is also used as a training centre.
在飞机上,志愿者医生进行手术。飞机也可以作为培训中心使用。
Why don't you work in a hospital?
你们为什么不在医院工作?
Many of our patients can't afford to go to hospital, so we have to go to them.
我们的很多病人没钱去医院,所以我们得去他们那儿。
Also, local doctors and nurses are invited on board to learn about eye operations.
同时,当地的医生和护士也被邀请到飞机上来学习眼部手术。
We can teach them new skills. By training them, we hope to help more people.
我们可以教他们新技术。通过培训他们,我们希望能帮到更多的人们。
How many operations do you do during a visit?
在一次访问中,你们要做多少台手术?
During my last visit, I50 patients were operated on.
在我上一次访问中,有150位病人做了手术。
You're doing a really important job.
你们在从事一项非常重要的工作。
Thank you. I'm proud to help people see again and improve their lives.
谢谢。我很骄傲能够帮助人们重见光明并提高生活质量。
Is there anything else you'd like to say to our readers?
你还想对我们的读者说些什么吗?
Yes. Modern medicine is developing quickly and now most eye problems and diseases can be treated and cured.
是的。现代医学发展很快,现在大多数眼疾能够治疗并治愈。
But more money is needed to carry on with our work. We hope more people will support us.
但是需要更多的钱来治愈我们的工作。我们希望更多的人们来支持我们。
Thank you very much for your time, Dr Ma.
谢谢您的宝贵时间,马医生。